Saturday 15 April 2017

Unknown carnivorous giant frog

When you look at a normal frog, one that's only a few inches long, it's easy to forget that the docile green amphibian resting lazily at the edge of the stream is an ambush predator who is secretly a cross between a ninja with a grappling hook and a black hole. When the rare example grows to the size of a horse, however, they remind unwary adventurers that anything can be dangerous. 

This is definitely a late 70s-early 80's sculpt, but it has no base (it rests on its legs and feet) and has no markings to indicate the manufacturer - any ideas? I've scoured Lost Minis and Google and I can't find any reference to it anywhere. As with all early sculpts, the trick is to keep it simple - a base green paint job, with a dark red for the tongue, and then washes and dry brushing to bring out a surprising amount of detail, following by flock and stone for the base. I like everything about this sculpt - it's very dynamic, with the lashing tongue and the raised claw giving it a real air of menace - and just look at the size of it next to a worried looking Shadowforge Dark Temple warrior! To be honest I've always though of this entry in the Monster Manual as a bit of a joke, but this sculpt has changed my mind considerably, and I can see it getting a lot of table top time in the next set of marsh/swamp encounters. Now, if someone can just identify who made it, I'll be a happy man...

4 comments:

  1. One dangerous looking frog, Caliburn. I hope you can identify the manufacturer becuase I'd like one of these too. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words... but still no joy on IDing who it is by... :(

      Delete
  2. Definitely like the frog, and the mini is that much more impressive when compared to the 28mm Dark Temple archer---up against a 25mm human from Grenadier or RP it would look even larger! :D

    I wonder if it's a were-frog of some sort, perhaps, given its size and claws??

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! You know, I have never considered the option of it being a werefrog - probably because I've never considered the idea of such a thing being possible. Definitely food for thought...

      Delete